9.01.2010

Sex and literature (or sexy literature?)

When I was in middle school and high school, fan fiction was a really big deal. Maybe it's still a big deal, and I'm just not as good at the internet as I used to be. Anyway, my friends and I would spend ridiculous amounts of time hunting down, consuming, writing, and discussing fan fiction. Generally we were into Harry Potter and Gundam Wing fics. Occasionally Sailor Moon would prop her pretty little head in. Yes, I am a nerd. I never made any claims to the contrary.

Anyway, as I got older I decided that maybe I'd better start reading real books rather than stories written by teenagers on the internet. Before that happened, however, I did discover the joy of erotic fan fiction. I mean, come on, Sirius Black and Remus Lupin were totally meant to be together forever and have lots of hot gay sex. Don't judge me. These stories were, looking back, rather formative in my own sexual development. They bridged the gap between childhood literature and adult sexual existence. I did write some fan fiction as a kid. I don't remember if I ever wrote anything erotic, but I certainly did write erotic original stories that followed the same basic formula of a short fan fiction.

Here I am, though, 22 years old, and I'm back to it. Here's the story: my Very Special Friend (VSF) read Atlas Shrugged and then encouraged me to read it so that he could discuss it with someone. So I read it. In case you are unfamiliar with the story it follows this Railroad Executive, Dagny Taggart, as she discovers the incompetence of men in our society. It also has a lot of sex because Ayn Rand wrote Dagny to be a surrogate for herself. Anyway, there's this great scene that involves Dagny, Francisco (Dagny's childhood lover), and John Galt. I don't want to give away too much, but VSF and I both came to the conclusion that, although a threesome never did happen, it totally should have. I figured such a fan fiction must exist on the interwebs. Lo and behold, it does not. So I said I'd write it. Yes, I am currently in the process of writing a fan fiction based upon Atlas Shrugged. I am discovering in the process that I have a bit of a block about writing about sex. Some of it is vocabulary: Do I write come? cum? ejaculate? And what on earth do you call a penis? A penis? Cock? Dick? Man-sausage? I'm also having trouble describing sex. Which is weird, right? Because I have a lot of sex, and I spent a bit of time having a lot of boring sex (more on that later) during which I definitely daydreamed/narrated to myself. Yet I still have trouble with it.

I think a lot of the problem might have to do with the disconnect in my head between sex and literature. I know that there's tons of sex in literature. I've read Romeo and Juliet. I've read Lady Chatterley's Lover. Literature is engorged with sex, but I still see it as something pure. I see sex in literature as a tool to make a point. To write in gratuitous sex in the form of a fan fiction seems a bit...sacrilegious? I know that's stupid. I mean if literature is engorged with sex, the authors of said literature were swimming in it. So I have hang-ups. I'm getting over them. I also need to just finish this damn fan fiction before VSF gets back. Until then, anyone want to give me some vocabulary tips?

2 comments:

  1. A penis is a cock—or, depending on how you feel about the word, a member. It's never actually a penis. 'Dick' is crude and tends to be used in conversation in these stories, or when dirty, dirty sex is happening. Man-sausage is only when you're being ironic. 'Cum' seems to be more common when referring to ejaculate. Anything else you want to know?

    -Runi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gleaming pinnacle of manhood? Glistening sword?

    The Hebrew Stallion

    ReplyDelete